The Ohio Division of Real Estate and Professional Licensing, a government office and part of the Ohio Department of Commerce, publishes these suggestions for consumers.
- Check to see if the cemetery is registered with the Ohio Division of Real Estate and Professional Licensing.
- Ask the cemetery operator for a copy of its rules and regulations.
- Be sure you understand the cemetery’s monument/marker and decoration policies.
- View the grave, crypt or internment site before you purchase.
- Insist that any promise made to you be in writing on the cemetery’s stationary and signed by cemetery personnel.
- Before you enter into a contract or agreement, find out about any cancellation and refund policies.
More information and literature is available from the Division of Real Estate and Professional Licensing at (614) 466-4100 or on the Cemeteries page of its website.